Skip to main content
I am a 58 year old single woman, who is looking forward to an active retirement. However, I have become a couch potato. I was spending hours watching Big Bang Theory, news channels, and HGTV. Mowing the yard was my only exercise. I have watched my 87 year old mother’s health decline as she spends hours sitting in her recliner. I want a different future for myself.
The change began when my company offered $50 to any employee willing to buy a fit bit and begin tracking steps. I accepted, soon realizing how sedentary my life was. Days I work from home I walked around 3,000 steps. Not even close to the recommended 10,000 steps a day.
So I joined Planet Fitness and began walking on the treadmill 2 days a week. At first it was slow and exhausting. But slowly I increase my time and speed. Currently I am walking 45 minutes at 3.0 to get a comfortable 10,000+ steps 2 days a week.   
But I needed more. Not more Planet Fitness, but another goal, something to get my physical juices flowing. My new goal is to hike the Grand Canyon! I am not even considering hiking to the bottom. Rather I found a trip for 3 days with a six mile hike each day. So I need to become physically fit enough to hike 6 miles 3 days in a row. It sounds very doable, especially considering I have given myself from August to May to accomplish it.
On FaceBook there is a 52 hike challenge from some people in California. The page suggests people spend a year hiking outdoors for a least a mile each time. During 52 weeks you would complete 52 hikes. It sounds like the type of challenge I need. So I joined the page and began recording my progress.
Currently I usually hike 2 times a week for 2 to 3 hours each hike. I am getting 10,000+ steps 2 more days a week. Luckily there are several large parks within 30 minutes of my home in Alabama. My favorites are Moss Rock Preserve which is 10 minutes from home. And Oak Mountain State Park which is 20 minutes from home. Both have hills, streams, roots, and rocks to traverse.
This Blog is the story of my progress as I prepare myself for being Active in Retirement. I hope you enjoy reading about my journey.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still working towards a goal.

The picture is not me! But this is what I am hoping to become after age 60. I am currently 59 and not retired. The process begins with working out 5 times a week and doing gardening on Saturday. Monday is mini-cross fit at the dog park. I am able to do 20 repetitions of jumping jacks, squats, pushups, and squat-jumps. There is a very short distance of running but mostly walking around the dog park for now. Tuesday is a 30-minute treadmill walk/run at Planet Fitness.   Wednesday is a “killer kettlebell workout”. The internet calls it that. I am using a 3-pound dumbbell and few reps. Those will increase over time. Thursday is another walk/run on the treadmill. Friday is another mini-cross fit workout. How long will it take to become a fit-retired-lady. Who knows? But I plan to keep working towards that and hopefully one day my picture will be posted on this site.

Working Harder

Another week of working out. I am exhausted by Friday. The workouts are definitely making me stronger but also making me sore. My legs are sore, my feet are sore, my back is sore. This is what it takes to get in shape and lead an active life. This week I started a couch-2-5K plan. The app is on my phone and it tells me win to walk and when to run. It is a 3 day per week plan. But I am only doing 1 day a week. It will take me months to be able to complete the 30-minute run. But the first day was easier than expected. I was able to complete it. This makes 5 days a week of exercise. Monday and Friday are mini cross fit days. Tuesday and Thursday are treadmill walking at Planet Fitness. Wednesday is a kettlebell workout followed by C25K. Growing more active every day! 💪

Gardening is hard work!

Gardening is one of my favorite activities. It can be hard sweaty work but I enjoy it. Beginning this past spring I began reworking the backyard. A few men were hired to do the heavy lifting and digging. They began a retaining wall, dug out a new patio and a firepit. I have finished the retaining wall including a bridge and steps. Added pavers to the new patio. Planted hydrangeas and lavender. Still need to backfill behind the retaining wall with dirt the men threw up onto the hill. The hydrangeas are becoming a problem. One is blooming and doing well. The other two are suffering from root rot. I dug them up and made the hole bigger with gravel in the bottom for drainage. But the soil is clay and the water has nowhere to go. I pulled them out of the ground again and will be working on making the hole bigger with more drainage. Hopefully this will be the last time. I may even put in a drainage pipe and connect it to a French drain in the yard. Maybe. It probably would be a lot of h...